New research from In-Stat reveals that the government vertical is among the strongest industry sectors for voice-over-IP (VoIP) service adoption. This makes sense, since government and education were the primary groups of legacy analog managed Centrex services.
Based on the In-Stat market study, 48 percent of respondents in government institutions report that VoIP is deployed in at least one location. The research reveals interesting distinctions among key vertical segments.
"Overall, integration is more critical than cost savings," says Norm Bogen, In-Stat research vice president. "However, cost is most critical in the education segment, while scalable features and capabilities are most important in the government segment."
In-Stat's market study also found the following:
- Verizon is the most cited Current Broadband IP Telephony Provider among government institutions, with a commanding lead over other providers.
- AT&T has the leading position as a provider of IP Centrex solutions across size of business and vertical markets.
- Cisco is the IP PBX market leader in all segments, but particularly in education.
- The Healthcare vertical is the strongest adopter of IP handsets.
- Hosted IP Centrex has appeal with government and healthcare segments, cited significantly more in these segments compared to the professional services or educational segments.