According to the latest market study by comScore, more than 180 million U.S. Internet users watched online video during the month. YouTube delivered video to more than 135 million viewers during the month -- reaching 3 out of every 4 online video viewers at an average of 96 videos per viewer.
U.S. Internet users watched 31.2 billion videos in March, with Google Sites ranking as the top video property with 13.1 billion videos, representing 41.8 percent of all videos viewed online. YouTube accounted for the vast majority of videos viewed at the property.
Hulu ranked second with 1.1 billion videos, or 3.4 percent of all online videos viewed. Microsoft Sites ranked third with 655 million (2.1 percent), followed by Yahoo! Sites with 478 million (1.5 percent) and CBS Interactive with 457 million (1.5 percent).
More than 180 million viewers watched an average of 173 videos per viewer during the month of March. Google Sites attracted 136.0 million unique viewers during the month (96.0 videos per viewer), followed by Yahoo! Sites with 56.2 million viewers (8.5 videos per viewer) and CBS Interactive with 46.7 million viewers (9.8 videos per viewer).
In March, Tremor Media ranked as the top video advertising network -- with a potential reach of 96.5 million viewers, or 53.5 percent of the total video viewing audience. Adconion Video Network ranked second with a potential reach of 81.6 million viewers (45.2 percent penetration) followed by Advertising.com Video Network with 80.8 million viewers (44.8 percent).
Other findings from March 2010 market study include:
- The top video ad networks in terms of their actual reach delivered were: Joost Video Network (by Adconion Media Group) with 38.0 percent penetration of online video viewers, SpotXchange Video Ad Network with 19.9 percent, and BBE with 19.1 percent.
- 84.8 percent of the total U.S. Internet audience viewed online video.
- 135.3 million viewers watched 12.9 billion videos on YouTube.com (95.6 videos per viewer).
- The average Hulu viewer watched 26.7 videos, totaling 2.6 hours of video per viewer.
- The duration of the average online video was 4.3 minutes.