Juniper Research has compiled a list of their predictions for the top trends in the mobile and wireless communications industry during 2012. A free report detailing their market research study findings is available on their website.
According to the latest Juniper assessment, there is a strong possibility that recessionary conditions will have an adverse impact on smartphone and media tablet sales -- particularly in the case of unsubsidized devices.
Juniper's view is that, given the extent to which smartphones have already become a near must-have device, the impact here will be less significant than for tablets, where it may well reduce the extent to which these devices penetrate the wider market, notably across Western Europe.
The effect will be most acutely felt in the premium media tablet sector (such as the Apple iPad), where net device sales could plateau or even decline.
Conversely, the reduction in average purchasing power could conceivably benefit players such as Amazon and ARCHOS, because cash-strapped consumers may opt for the lower-priced Kindle Fire or an ARNOVA-branded device rather than the higher priced media tablets.
Top Ten Wireless Telecom Predictions for 2012
- Recession Likely to Hit Smart Device Sales.
- London 2012 to Boost Mobile Advertising and M-Gambling, and Kickstart NFC.
- Mobile Coupons to Drive mCommerce Market Despite Economic Stagnation.
- 2012 – The Year of the Quad-Core Processor.
- Windows 8 OS to Fuel Nokia Revival and Disrupt Tablet Market.
- 2012 to see High Profile Malware Attacks on Mobile Devices.
- MEMs Accelerometers and Gyroscopes to Transform Sensor Market for Mobile Devices.
- Social Gaming to Become a Major Mobile Play with Introduction of Synchronous Gaming.
- Online, Mobile and Physical Will Begin to Fuse into One Retail Market.
- Cloud Mobility to Drive Collaborative Communications.