There are 172 operators in 70 countries with LTE mobile networks and more than 250 commercial LTE networks are expected by the end of 2013.
"We are pleased to report that 20 Latin American operators have commercially deployed LTE networks and the number of connections in the region is quickly increasing," said Chris Pearson, President of 4G Americas.
The following are highlights from the latest worldwide market assessment. For more information and to view a variety of statistical charts on the 3GPP family of technologies, visit www.4gamericas.org
Global Market Highlights
- 172 commercial LTE networks today; 250 commercial LTE networks expected by the end of 2013.
- Over 450 total commitments to LTE deployment by wireless operators to date.
- 68 million LTE connections at the end of 2012; 100 million as of May 2013, representing an increase of nearly 50 percent in five months.
- Nearly a doubling of connections forecast in 2013 to 134 million LTE connections.
- LTE connections are forecast to reach 1 billion by early 2018
North America Market
- 22 commercial LTE networks deployed in Canada and U.S.
- 38 million LTE connections at the end of 2012; 57 million LTE connections as of May 2013 with 57 percent global market share.
Latin America Market
- 20 commercial LTE networks in 9 countries: Antigua & Barbuda, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Paraguay, Puerto Rico and Uruguay.
- More than 136,000 LTE connections (May 2013)
- Forecast 2 million LTE connections at the end of 2013