The biggest gainers of market share this quarter are those capitalizing on expanding Asian markets -- such as Xiaomi, the Chinese ODM. The company sold 19 million new devices in Q3 -- that's a 25.8 percent increase in sales on last quarter.
Combined Lenovo-Motorola shipments are estimated to be in excess of 23 million devices this quarter, with Motorola on-track to return to profitability in Lenovo's target of 4 to 6 quarters.
Lenovo is now well-positioned to expand into India and other Southeast Asian markets, where the Android-based Moto X and Moto G have a large consumer base, as well as a positive brand presence in the U.S. market.
Apple experienced strong growth following the iPhone 6 launch, posting its highest ever Q3 results, representing a 16.2 percent y-o-y increase.
This upside is expected to grow further in the coming months as large numbers of American consumers upgrade to the latest iPhone iteration.
Conversely, Samsung experienced an estimated 8 percent y-o-y fall in shipments, part of a wider decline for the vendor which also saw a 49 percent drop in net profits.
Juniper says they are seeing continued strong gains forthe medium-sized smartphone vendors, generally reaching out from Asia to more of the international markets.
Despite its share of shipments declining by 1.6 percent, Huawei still posted a 26 percent y-o-y increase in shipment volumes, with a larger increase in revenues thanks to their high-end devices, such as the Ascend range shipping in increasing numbers.
Other key highlights from the study include:
- LG shipped 16.8 million units, a 40 percent y-o-y sales increase, expanding its market share to 5.5 percent.
- Microsoft posted a q-o-q increase in Lumia device shipments, a 16.3 percent rise to 9.3 million devices.
- BlackBerry's return to device profitability through cost-cutting masks a slight q-o-q drop in sales, of just over 2 million devices.
- Samsung shipped an estimated 78.6 million smartphones; maintaining a 25 percent market share.
- Apple posts an increase on their record Q2 with strong iPhone 6 sales, with 39.3 million iPhones shipped.
- Lenovo completes the acquisition of Motorola Mobility, to become the third largest smartphone maker in the world.